The Importance of Calcium

Calcium is one of the most important minerals for the human body. Find out why.

The Importance of Calcium

Most likely, he was used to hearing about the importance of calcium to bones. And although this is true, the importance of this mineral is much more comprehensive. Well, look.

THE FUNCTIONS OF CALCIUM?

Calcium is one of the most important minerals for the human body and just look at its key functions to realize why.
Vital to proper cellular functioning, calcium is present in large quantities in the human body. In fact, it constitutes 2% of a person’s weight and about 99% of the calcium in the body is present in the bones, whereas 1% is in the blood.

In addition to being essential for the structural training and maintenance of bones is also important for the formation (and maintenance) of the teeth. But not only. Calcium also stimulates blood circulation and, when acting with vitamin K, helps blood clotting.

It also has an impact on the nervous system, acting in the process of contraction and relaxation of muscles or in the transmission of nerve stimuli.

Good calcium levels are still critical for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.

HOW DOES CALCIUM ABSORPTION WORK?

Calcium is found in the human skeleton (which stores about 95% of calcium) and in the blood (which carries it to cells and organs).

Calcium is essential throughout life. But needs vary and they adjust. And if in childhood and adolescence the bone mass is still developing, and that 90% of the bone mass develops; in the adult phase the remaining 10% develop. It is from the stage of stagnation that particular attention should be paid to calcium levels, in order to always ensure the necessary reserves.

But how does this work? Our body can not produce calcium, so it has to be made available through the ingestion of food (or supplements). However, the intake of foods with a high calcium content does not always imply a good absorption of the same by the body. The bioavailability of calcium is a property that determines its absorption in the body, and milk and derivatives are those that have greater bioavailability (greater absorption capacity). Thus, the intake of different sources of calcium is important so that its absorption is the most adequate.

WHERE TO FIND CALCIUM?

The list of foods that contain this mineral is quite comprehensive. Among the sources of calcium may be listed as follows:

1.  Milk and derivatives
2.  Broccoli
3.  Watercress
4.  Cabbage
5.  Spinach
6.  Lettuce
7.  Figs
8.  Oats
9.  Parsley
10.  Beets
11.  Sweet potatoes
12.  Onions
13.  Corn
14.  Sesame seeds
15.  Orange
16.  Almonds

To enhance calcium absorption, it is very important to combine a balanced, varied diet and provide the necessary levels of this mineral with the practice of physical exercise.

Gallery

Calcium Homeostasis: Parathyroid Hormone, Calcitonin and …

Calcium Homeostasis: Parathyroid Hormone, Calcitonin and ...

Source: slideplayer.com

By Dr. Khurram Irshad Department of Physiology

By Dr. Khurram Irshad Department of Physiology

Source: slideplayer.com

Cell Injury and Cell Death

Cell Injury and Cell Death

Source: slideplayer.com

Calcium Supplement

Calcium Supplement

Source: es.slideshare.net

Role of calcium in pregnancy

Role of calcium in pregnancy

Source: www.slideshare.net

Calcium metabolism, vitamin d, parathyroid hormone

Calcium metabolism, vitamin d, parathyroid hormone

Source: www.slideshare.net

Chapter 6 Bone and Skeletal Tissue

Chapter 6 Bone and Skeletal Tissue

Source: slideplayer.com

Bones and Skeletal Tissues Part A

Bones and Skeletal Tissues Part A

Source: slideplayer.com

Calcium metabolism

Calcium metabolism

Source: www.slideshare.net

Best Calcium Supplement Reviews for 2017

Best Calcium Supplement Reviews for 2017

Source: dietplanpros.com

Calcium

Calcium

Source: www.slideshare.net

The Skeletal System Structure and Functions.

The Skeletal System Structure and Functions.

Source: slideplayer.com

Bone Remodeling Bone remodeling = combination of bone …

Bone Remodeling Bone remodeling = combination of bone ...

Source: slideplayer.com

Bones and Skeletal Tissues

Bones and Skeletal Tissues

Source: slideplayer.com

The Digestive System Food and Energy

The Digestive System Food and Energy

Source: slideplayer.com

The Importance Of Calcium And How To Get Enough Without …

The Importance Of Calcium And How To Get Enough Without ...

Source: weddbook.com

Role of Calcium in pregnancy DR. SHARDA JAIN Dr. Jyoti …

Role of Calcium in pregnancy DR. SHARDA JAIN Dr. Jyoti ...

Source: www.slideshare.net

Biological importance of magnesium and calcium

Biological importance of magnesium and calcium

Source: www.slideshare.net

Calcium Health Benefits for Women

Calcium Health Benefits for Women

Source: www.ezyshine.com

Calcium homeostasis

Calcium homeostasis

Source: www.slideshare.net