According to Country Gees, Shallowater, Texas is a small town located in Lubbock County, Texas. It has a population of around 2,000 people and is situated on the Llano Estacado, a flat grassland plateau. The town is located approximately 20 miles northwest of Lubbock and is part of the South Plains region.
The climate in Shallowater is hot and arid with temperatures that can reach up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer months. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing. Average annual rainfall for the area is approximately 18 inches per year.
The city was founded in 1916 when J.C. Shannon purchased land from the local Indian tribe and established his homestead there. Since then, it has grown steadily into a small but thriving community that depends largely on agriculture for its livelihood. Cotton, peanuts and corn are some of the primary crops grown in this area as well as cattle ranching and dairy farming being important industries for local farmers.
Politics in Shallowater are centered around conservative values; most residents identify as Republicans or Independents with very few Democrats living there. The city operates under a mayor-council form of government with five council members elected at-large to serve two-year terms alongside their mayor who serves four years at a time.
The economy of Shallowater revolves heavily around agriculture but also includes several local businesses such as auto repair shops, restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, hardware stores and other retail stores that offer services to both locals and visitors alike.
Education in Shallowater is provided by the Shallowater Independent School District which consists of three elementary schools: Denton Elementary School (K-5), Middleton Elementary School (K-5) and High Ridge Elementary School (K-5). There are also two middle schools: Shallowater Middle School (6th-8th grade) and High Ridge Middle School (6th-8th grade). Lastly there is one high school: Shallowater High School (9th-12th grade).
Some popular landmarks located within or near Shallowater include Lake Ransom Canyon which offers recreational activities such as fishing or boating; Buffalo Springs Lake which offers similar activities; Indian Meadow Park which provides outdoor recreational facilities such as playgrounds; Buffalo Springs Trailhead which provides access to hiking trails; Caprock Canyons State Park which offers camping sites; Double Mountain Fork Brazos River Park where visitors can enjoy tubing or kayaking; Yellow House Canyon Wildlife Management Area providing hunting opportunities; Yellow House Draw Nature Center offering educational programs about wildlife ecology; and Yellowhouse Monument commemorating early settlers who arrived in this area during the late 1800s.
Population: 2,086. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,170 (+4.0% change)
Males: 1,001 (48.0%), Females: 1,085 (52.0%)
Zip code: 79363
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $38,750
Median house value: $71,700
Races in Shallowater:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.7%)
- Hispanic (16.2%)
- Other race (6.4%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (11.8%), United States (10.6%), Irish (9.4%), English (9.1%), Scotch-Irish (3.0%), Scottish (2.9%).
Land area: 0.9 square miles
Shallowater, Texas is a small town located in Lubbock County, with a population of 2,484 as of the 2010 census. This small town has been steadily growing since its founding in the late 1800s and continues to attract new residents each year. The majority of Shallowater’s population is white (76.7%) followed by Hispanic (20.2%), African American (2.1%), Asian (0.5%) and other (0.5%). The median household income is $53,107 and the median age is 33 years old. The majority of the population lives in owner-occupied homes, with an average home value of $183,100 according to Zillow Real Estate Research. Additionally, Shallowater has a low unemployment rate at 4%, which is lower than both state and national averages.
The town offers many activities for its residents to enjoy such as shopping at local boutiques and stores, dining out at local restaurants, attending events at the Civic Center or taking part in outdoor activities such as golfing or fishing on one of two nearby lakes: Buffalo Springs Lake or Mackenzie State Park Lake. The community also boasts several parks where families can come together for picnics or sports activities like baseball or basketball tournaments every summer. The school system in Shallowater is highly rated with great teachers who strive to ensure that all students reach their full potential academically and socially. Overall, Shallowater offers a safe and friendly atmosphere that makes it an ideal place to live for families looking for small-town charm without sacrificing convenience or quality of life.
For population 25 years and over in Shallowater
- High school or higher: 79.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shallowater city
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 7.9%
2.1% Foreign born (1.2% Latin America, 0.3% Africa, 0.2% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +445 (+27.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shallowater:
- SUNRISE CANYON HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- COVENANT CHILDREN HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- COVENANT MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shallowater:
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 13 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- CANNON AFB (about 103 miles; CLOVIS, NM; Abbreviation: CVS)
- AMARILLO INTL (about 107 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shallowater:
- TOWN & COUNTRY AIRPARK (about 20 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: F82)
- ABERNATHY MUNI (about 20 miles; ABERNATHY, TX; Abbreviation: F83)
- SLATON MUNI (about 28 miles; SLATON, TX; Abbreviation: F49)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shallowater:
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 30 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 99 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 103 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 115 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
Public high school in Shallowater:
- SHALLOWATER H S (Students: 353; Location: 1100 AVE K; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Shallowater:
- SHALLOWATER MIDDLE (Students: 323; Location: 1100 AVE K; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SHALLOWATER INT (Students: 310; Location: 1100 AVE K; Grades: 03 – 05)
- SHALLOWATER EL (Students: 309; Location: 1100 AVE K; Grades: PK – 02)
- DAEP (Location: 1100 AVE K; Grades: N – N )