Every woman likes to wear a beautiful high heel, the options are not lacking: needle heel, anabela, square heels, half paw and so on. Many women also opt for the famous little skirts, which offer greater comfort and freedom because they do not have high heels, but many can not afford to give up the glamor of wearing a pair of sandals and other high-heeled models. But the glamor also has a high price, according to the orthopedist specialized in foot surgery of the Hospital das Clínicas of São Paulo, Antônio Egydio de Carvalho Jr., the constant use of high heels can cause serious and irreversible injuries to the feet, kneesAnd column. And then how do you not to let go of this important item in the women’s wardrobe and at the same time do not harm your health? The Doutíssima has prepared great advice so that you avoid the problems caused by high heels without giving up using them.
- Try to wear shoes that are up to three centimeters high in your day-to-day life, to go to work, for example. Leave the heeled shoes above this measure for special occasions. Know that the higher the height of the jump, the greater the inclination of the feet, the greater the damage caused. What happens when we put on a high heel is that we change the center of gravity of our body. All the load of the body that is normally supported by the complete part of the feet(mainly by the heels), is supported by the front. To compensate for this imbalance, knees and spineThey become overloaded, causing a risk of cartilage wear in these areas of the body. A good tip for those who can not give up on heights is to use the half-paw heel, which even having a measurement of more than ten centimeters may not have a large slope due to the model of your soles.
- Avoid models of sandals with very thin heels, as these make the body weight, which should focus mainly on the back of the feet, be concentrated on the front. The surface of contact with the ground of a thin heel is very small, so we should concentrate all our balance on the front of the feet – which ends up overloading knees and spine.
- Stretch your legs and be barefoot whenever possible, for example, when you are sitting. This is a good option for women who need to work in high heels.
- Try alternating the high heel model that you use each day or even switch it during the same day. For example, if you know that you will wear a very high heel during the night, try to spend the day using a heel of less than three centimeters. The larger the contact surface of the heel with ground, the greater the stability that the footwear offers, so do not limit yourself to just using the needle heels. Try the square heels and the cone jump models(in this last model the heel leaves the center of the heel and not at the tip, which offers even more stability when walking) that can be as beautiful and elegant as the models with a heel.
- Bet on sandals with platform heels, as they distribute well the weight of the body by the feet. According to Cibele Résio, an orthopedic specialist with foot and ankle specialties from the Federal University of São Paulo, the ideal jump leaves the foot almost parallel to the ground, as is the case with platforms, which, depending on the model, can do this. The sandals with anabela and anabela with platform also blow near to leave the foot almost parallel to the ground, bet on them!
- Beware of excessive use of the little crawlies. Although considered a good option for those who seek more comfort and freedom without giving up a pair of shoes, the little rasteirinhas may not be a good solution for those who want to escape the high heels. Because they do not have a very thick sole and leave their feet almost in contact with the ground, they can not absorb the impact of the walk, which makes it difficult to load the knees and ankles. Look for models with the thickest soles that have some form of damping.
The advantage of wearing sandals
According to the orthopedist Egydio Carvalho, in addition to the sandals being better suited to the very hot climate of Brazil, their strips do less harm than the closed shoes, which are usually made of leather and make calluses more easily. Not to mention that sandals with straps tightly tied to the ankle ensure more stability when walking, however, we must be careful not to tie them tightly as we can cut the circulation of the ankles.
To conclude, here are three exercise tips you can do to avoid shortening your muscles(one of the consequences of excessive use of high heels):
– Face the wall, put both hands on it. Flex your right leg forward and straighten your left, keeping your heels on the floor and tiptoe toward the wall. Keep the spine straight.
– Sitting on a mat, pull your legs apart and keep your feet pointing up. Move your hands to the tips of your feet and lower your torso in front of your body. Keep your eyes on the floor. Do not force your legs too tightly.
– On your side, place your right foot on a table that has the height of your hips, keeping the left one resting on the floor, so that it is slightly facing outwards. Try to take your right hand to the tip of the foot that is on the piece of furniture. The left arm should be arched over the head in the same direction as the other. Caution: Do not let the torso fall forward.